Merzbow (メルツバウ Merutsubau) is a Japanese noise project started in 1979 by Masami Akita (秋田 昌美 Akita Masami).
The name Merzbow comes from the German dada artist Kurt Schwitters’ artwork Merzbau, in which Schwitters transformed the interior of his house using found objects. The name was chosen to reflect Akita’s dada influence and junk art aesthetic. In addition to this, Akita has cited a wide range of musical influences from progressive rock, heavy metal, free jazz, and early electronic music to non-musical influences like dadaism, surrealism, and fetish culture. Since the early 2000s, he has been inspired by animal rights and environmentalism, and began to follow a vegan, straight edge lifestyle.
As well as being a prolific musician, he has been a writer and editor for several books and magazines in Japan, and has written several books of his own. He has written about a variety of subjects, mostly about music, modern art, and underground culture.
Merzbow – Hermerzaphrodites Label: Old Europa Cafe – OECD 269 Format: 2 × CD, Album, Limited Edition Country: Italy Released: 30 Apr 2019 Style: Noise, Experimental, Ambient
Limited edition of 300 copies. Comes in a six-panel Digipak.
An unusual MERZBOW double CD album.
Two very different CD’s boundedin one unique album:
§ On one disc sounds are more «Ambient Style» with a free piano and many field recordings, far and rumbling rythms and rumours (The Piano Lento ma non Troppo Madness)
§ On other disc sounds are explong deep into «Poly-Rhythmic’s», continuosly beating & popping plus additionall sqeezeing & exploding sounds
(The Pop-Corn Psychedelia), to me this is the soundtrack for a new psychedelic dance.
A different & very intriguing «MERZBOW / HERMAPHRODITIC» sound.
Special «Hermaphriditic» art-work by Lilian Pelizzari Giust.
Six panels digipak full of colours & hermaphroditic images for a complete psychedelic experience.
Satori – Dispossession Label: COD noizes – SHUM18 Format: CD, Album, Limited Edition Country: Russia Released: 25 Dec 2018 Style: Power Electronics, Industrial, Dark Ambient, Experimental, Noise
British industrial veterans Satori was formed in Margate, Kent by Dave Kirby and Robert Maycock in 1984. Origially called Psychopath. Satori have released material on cult labels which represented post-industrial music culture in its absolute form: Zeal SS, Broken Flag, Cold Spring Records, Tesco Organization / Functional Organization, Malignant Records and many more. They collaborated and splitted the stage with Sutcliffe Jügend, Nadja, Abbatoir and Merzbow. Comprising a mixture of dark ambient, harsh noise and power electronics with a harder and heavier percussive beat than before Satori now present a collection of new songs “Dispossession”.
Album, consisting of twelve tracks with a total length more than an hour, has been released as a luxury matte laminated digipak housed in a matte laminated cardboard slipcase decorated with glossy stencil UV-varnish printing.
New full length album by one of France’s most singular contemporary composer. Reflecting on ancient culture’s use and reverence for emblematic monuments which most often represent myths and stories, the album’s narrative has been infused with such symbolic and depicts an envisioned mythology, unfolding through it’s 10 aural pieces. Franck Vigroux‘s music is unique and comprised of tectonic tension, pulsating rhythms and abrasive analog textures like few can produce. Applying his own calculated personal signature in his sonic explorations his distinctiveness comes not only by his unique approach to sound but also by his incorporation of new media practices and performing arts into his A/V work.
Mastering by Denis Blackham.
Cover Photography by Emile Barret, model Armand Yerly / 2010
Double Vinyl Edition of 500 copies in matt laminated Gatefold Sleeve. 10 Tracks. Running Time 55:10. UPC: 0694536562578 BUY
CD Edition of 500 copies in matt laminated 4 panel Digipak. 10 Tracks. Running Time 55:10. UPC: 0694536562585 BUY
01. Old Recipe For Modern Society Recorded in February-March 2003. Released on the CD compilation Extreme Music From Russia (Susan Lawly, 2004). Dedicated to the phenomenon of oprichnina implemented by the tsar Ivan IV «Grozny» in Russia between 1565 and 1572. Sound sources: radio, digital synthesis & processing.
02. Vision Reflections Recorded in November 2003. Released on the CD compilation Like Music To Their Ears Vol. 2 (Mechanoise Labs, 2004). Sound sources: radio, digital synthesis & processing.
03. No Hamsters Were Harmed During The Recording Of This Song Recorded in December 2004. Released on the CD compilation Roulette Russe Pour Un Peu De Caviar (Monochrome Vision, 2007). Sound sources: Rokton, Polyvox, Faemi-1M, radio.
04. Kopusta! Previously unreleased. Recorded in March 2004 for the compilation «Amazing Hare Johann», which never came out. Sound sources: radio, female voice, found samples, digital processing.
05. Submarine Lysergine Recorded in July 2004. Released on the Untitled split CD-R with Lunar Abyss and Timur Kujanov (Extremal Psychonauts, 2004). Sound sources: Yunost-21, Polyvox, distortion pedal, radio, digital processing.
06. BZ Recorded in January-February 2005. Released on the double CD-R compilation How To Stay Young & Healthy In A Modern World (Abgurd, 2006). Named after BZ toxic substance. Sound sources: Polyvox, radio, guitar, breath, digital processing.
07. The Glass From Leng Previously unreleased. Recorded in November 2003 for a compilation dedicated to H.P. Lovecraft, which never came out. Sound sources: radio, digital synthesis & processing.
08. RNS (wry loop mix) Recorded in April 2004, previously unreleased. Sound sources: a track by Public Immorality – Radio NaziSatanica, digital processing.
09. Disassembler Recorded in November 2004. Released on the CD-R compilation Negative Message From Collective Mind (Spirals Of Involution, 2005). Sound sources: Polyvox, radio.
10. Ether Spy Babka_rkTM4x4 Recorded in July 2005. Released on the double CD-R compilation Avtogen-Shaitan (Ostroga, 2007). Sound sources: Rokton, distrortion pedal, radio, Udmurtian women choir.
11. Mamasha Recorded in November 2005. Released on the CD compilation Red Square (KultFront, 2005).
12. Travka Zeleneet Recorded in January 2004. Released on the split mini-CD-R Thalamus with Ritualnaya Bioingeneria and Hladna (KultFront / Zhelezobeton, 2005), commemorating the first embodiment of the «Thalamus» festival. Sound sources: radio, found samples, digital synthesis & processing.
13. Splinters Recorded in September 2003. Released on the V.A. CD-R compilation (Nixrec, 2006). Sound sources: radio, singing bowl, digital synthesis & processing.
14. Throughout Time Recorded in November 2005. Released on the double CD compilation …It Just Is (In Memoriam: Jhonn Balance) (Fulldozer Records / Nocharizma, 2005). Sound sources: Time Machines eponymous album, digital processing.
15. See You In 6 Hours Previously unreleased. Recorded on July 15, 2006 for the compilation of one second tracks «Sloppy Seconds», which never came out. Sound sources: plastic, radio, digital synthesis & processing. Dedicated to Katerina Zet.
All tracks constructed at Base Station and re-mastered in January 2019.